I’m compiling a list of reasons we don’t seem Autistic / Aspergian. These reasons are used to either “prove” that we’re “normal” (and hence don’t need any different considerations from others), or to actually deny us needed services.
This list is a start. I’m sure there are many, many more. I just haven’t had the time to compile them all, yet. If you can think of more, please add them in the comments section below. Thanks in advance!
- You’re too social.
- You’re too empathetic.
- You’re too smart.
- You make eye contact.
- You’re verbal. And you talk plenty.
- You haven’t been officially diagnosed.
- You have a job.
- You seem fine to me / us / others.
- You don’t act like “real” Autistic / Aspergian folks – you don’t seem like Rain Man to me.
- You’re a grown woman, and you’ve made it this far without help.
- You’re a grown man, and you’ve made it this far without help.
- You’re athletic.
- You don’t have any super-powers.
- You’re just looking for attention.
- You just want to be in the “cool club” with the Aspies / Auties.
- You’re married or in a relationship – especially if your relationship is long-term.
- You’ve got kids.
- You like make-up.
- You like fashion.
- You can drive a car.
- You enjoy having sex.
That’s my quick list for now. Just to get some numbers to these, so I can blog about them later.